Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Vision of K-12 Students Today





http://lc.fdots.com/cc/lc/b9/b9297d20d912e8da424f8b19ed7e0588.jpg



Watching this video made me thankful for the past two education classes here at UB. I feel that students need to create, they need to DO and they need to be the teachers too. I have become experienced in teaching students how to make digital videos using IMoive. I know I have mentioned this several times but I can't say enough at how excited I am to do this with my own students (when I get my own classroom). Being a Social Studies teacher I have seen the value of having my future students make videos. The value of having students do this is endless in my eyes.

One you are having students work with hardware they are either already familiar with or can become familiar with minimal help. Having students create a video on the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire for example with get them the opportunity to make decisions, explore for material, decide how to present the material, create an opening, middle and end (not unlike an essay). Then if you want you can even have students write the essay or create an essay question off of this project another way the value is endless. When students write the typical thematic essay for example how many decisions do students make? Maybe twenty? With making a digital video the decisions are over 500 I would argue.

How else can creating a digital video be helpful besides the vast amounts of inquiry students will partake in? Well I think it gives students better ideas for job possibilities. For example maybe a students doesn't like to be in front of the camera but likes to be behind it. Who knows maybe we have a future channel 4 news camera operator or the next camera man at a Sabres game? Two careers I would not mind having if I knew more about them.

My last point is students will no longer be sitting in desks all the time like they are in this video it gets them up, making decisions, creating and producing something I hope they can be proud of!

Here are some examples of projects I have created click on the links if you want an example.

My Page

1 comment:

  1. Mark,

    Thanks so much for the link to your video project page. Lots of good ideas there!

    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete